This week, the BBC reported that time could soon be up for staple ice cream flavours such as vanilla, strawberry and chocolate, as consumers are increasingly attracted to new and exotic varieties, being tested in independent parlours and exported across the world. We tested these new ideas with 1000s of consumers in under 24 hours. The results are in and could now be used by manufacturers and retailers to predict future product success rates.
Every week, we use technology to test 1000s of variables that make up every product with consumers via their smartphone (from product concepts, packaging formats and product descriptions to flavour variants, varying brand executions and price perceptions), providing effective tools and techniques that deliver fast, statistically robust and consumer-led intelligence to enhance, accelerate and predict existing/new product performance.
Unlike traditional research, our methods use behavioural science to unlock our understanding of the true unconscious drivers of purchase decisions at fixture, both in store and online. In the ice cream survey, we uncovered the following insights:
- Men are more likely to buy Orange Blossom, Saffron and Ginger flavours.
- Rosewater is more popular with Waitrose shoppers, whereas M&S shoppers and Vegetarians are more likely to choose Lychee.
- Nutmeg and Kulfi (Indian in origin) are the least popular with UK consumers.
- Online shoppers are more likely to try the full range of more unusual flavours, with Cardamom being the clear favourite.
- Although Cardamom is a key ingredient in Kulfi, Kulfi itself is unpopular with consumers, which suggests that a clear and familiar reference point is critical when naming these new kinds of flavours.
Image from Getty Images & BBC
Get To Better Products Faster.
Ask anything of our panel of 1000s of consumers, available 24/7 via the VYPR App and website. Sit back and watch the results as they come in. VYPR makes rapid prototyping a reality, enabling suppliers and retailers to quickly validate unlimited hypotheses throughout the NPD process, from early stage product development to prelaunch refinement. Our geo-fencing technology enables consumers to answer questions live, during their shopping missions in store and at fixture.
Over 90% Of Clients Generate ROI & Renew Their VYPR Licence Every Year.
VYPR can save you £000s in product development and failed launch costs, as well as getting your product to market faster. That’s why the UK’s leading product developers, marketers, commercial managers, category managers and buyers choose to deploy VYPR every day. Every SKU can be optimised to the nth degree, ensuring that every product achieves its greatest potential.
Contact us now to road-test VYPR.
To learn more about how VYPR can help you, simply dial +44 (0) 161 694 6320 or complete our contact form below.
We’re open Monday to Friday 09h00 – 17h00.